Monday, October 3, 2011

The Search


There’s a song from the late 70’s called The Search Is Over by Survivor. The chorus is  - I was living for a dream, loving for a moment, Taking on the world, that was just my style, Now I look into your eyes, I can see forever, the search is over, You were with me all the while
That song reminded me about our search for wisdom, and why we miss it. We get so busy living our lives, caught up in all the day to day drama that we forget how close God is to us. Jesus promised that He would never leave us! We need to remind ourselves (and each other) that He is with us all the while. Jesus promises, “To never leave us or forsake us”. Solomon knew that the Lord was near, and was prepared to ask. Let’s look at 1 Kings for more details on Solomon’s encounter with God and his prayer for wisdom found in 1 Kings 3:5-9.
At Gibeon the LORD appeared to Solomon during the night in a dream, and God said, “Ask for whatever you want me to give you.” 6 Solomon answered, “You have shown great kindness to your servant, my father David, because he was faithful to you and righteous and upright in heart. You have continued this great kindness to him and have given him a son to sit on his throne this very day. 7 “Now, LORD my God, you have made your servant king in place of my father David. But I am only a little child and do not know how to carry out my duties. 8 Your servant is here among the people you have chosen, a great people, too numerous to count or number. 9 So give your servant a discerning heart to govern your people and to distinguish between right and wrong. For who is able to govern this great people of yours?”
As we learned last week Solomon asks for knowledge and wisdom so that he may be a good leader for God’s people. He even asks the question. Who is able to govern this great people of yours? No one is able to do anything great for God without His power and direction. I heard recently that if your vision isn’t under God’s direction then your vision is too small! We can only accomplish things for God through our obedience. Amen?
Have a good and Godly day,