Sunday, January 20, 2013

Bask and Reflect



 Who is the light? In John 8:12 , Jesus said,”I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life”.   -We are to follow Christ.

I graduated from the University of Cincinnati in 1982. One of my best friends from High School  also went there. He was a Criminal Justice Major, and I a History Major. We always wanted to take a class together, but it never worked out. Until our Sr. year and final quarter before graduation. I needed an elective class and Gary was taking a class he said I could get in to. It didn’t matter to me so I signed up. It was a class on abnormal Psychology. I had no business being there because this was a graduate level class and the total of my training had been Intro to Phsyc.101 as a freshman. For 5 weeks I was totally lost, and was starting to become concerned because I had to pass this class in order to graduate. Then my opportunity came. 60% of our final grade came from writing a paper based on a case study of any theory that had been discussed. Since I didn’t understand much what was going on I chose BIRG. Which stands for Basking in Reflected Glory. Simply put this is when someone takes pride & glory for another individuals or groups achievement in which they had absolutely no hand in. A good example of that at IBC is Jerry Tillery with the KY Wildcats! My paper was about my boss at the time. He always spoke of his alma matter, Elder HS, and how exciting it was to play at “the Pit”. I figured he must have been on the basketball team, but in reality he play the clarinet in the band!

Why did I tell you this story? Because we are commanded to bask in the reflected glory of our Lord, Jesus Christ. In Matthew 5:14-16, Jesus tells us, “You are the light of the world ..................” This is how we are supposed to live.

Be wise today and always - bask in and reflect His glory.