Thursday, September 26, 2013

I'm Diving In

As we dive in to this first chapter of Jeremiah we will see that there are three distinct parts to God’s plan: 1. The Calling 2. The Excuses we give and 3. The Examining and Challenge Let’s first look at the elements of the Calling in verses 1-5. This is God’s side of the calling - remember He does the process! There are four parts to consider:

a. Time (vv. 1-4) There is a distinct time in your life when God speaks clearly to you what He expects.  1-4 The Message of Jeremiah son of Hilkiah of the family of priests who lived in Anathoth in the country of Benjamin. God's Message began to come to him during the thirteenth year that Josiah son of Amos reigned over Judah. It continued to come to him during the time Jehoiakim son of Josiah reigned over Judah. And it continued to come to him clear down to the fifth month of the eleventh year of the reign of Zedekiah son of Josiah over Judah, the year that Jerusalem was taken into exile. This is what God said: (The Message)

b. Relationship (v. 5a) God has an intimate knowledge of who you are, and what you are capable.  5"Before I shaped you in the womb, I knew all about you.

c. Plans and Purposes (v. 5b) God sees not only your potential, the the reality of who you are meant to be. Before you saw the light of day, I had holy plans for you:

d. Job description and title (5c) There is a specific position and occupation in God’s kingdom for all believers.  A prophet to the nations—  that's what I had in mind for you."  

It’s kind of sad to say, but the second part of our calling is our hesitation and excuses we give not to obey. This is the human side of the calling. (vv. 6-8)  6But I said, "Hold it, Master God! Look at me.  I don't know anything. I'm only a boy!" 7-8God told me, "Don't say, 'I'm only a boy.'  I'll tell you where to go and you'll go there. I'll tell you what to say and you'll say it. Don't be afraid of a soul. I'll be right there, looking after you." God's Decree. (promise/covenant) (The Message)

There is a big difference when we say “but”, and when we read in Scripture “but God”. Our “buts” are excuses and complaints. But God, can change a negative to positive immediately.

Our response should be obedience. Let’s take a look at our questions vs. God’s answers.

You want me to do what? God is not surprised and doesn’t make mistakes.

Where am I supposed to start? God tells us where to go.

What could I possibly say to them? God tells us what to say.

What if they don’t understand or like what I am saying?  God tells us not to be afraid.

Who is going to help me? God promises us that He will not leave us.

Be wise today and always - respond to God's call with obedience.