Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Bridges

It's funny how many of us say we can't memorize anything, but when someone starts a song from our past we instantly recall the words. It happens to me when I read Scripture as well. I know that the song writer probably wasn't thinking the same thing, but in my brain a connection is made. Remember these words?
When you're weary, feeling small
When tears are in your eyes, well I will dry them all
I'm on your side, when times get rough
And friends just can't be found
When you're down and out
When you're on the streets, yes
When evening falls so hard
Well, I will comfort you, well, I will comfort you
I'll take your part when darkness comes
And pains is all around
Just like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down
I think of this verse:


Jesus will help us through those "troubled waters" of life. We should try to be there for our friends during bad times. That might bring them comfort, but only Christ can bring healing and restoration. he is "the Bridge" back to a right relation with God. 
Here is a version of Paul Simon's song by Michael W Smith:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCkgP9qU8fo