Saturday, July 19, 2014

Why Me?

Everyone will go through difficult troubled times. Whether it’s losing a job, dealing with difficult people,, struggling with addictions, hurting financially, coping with health problems, or nursing a damaged relationship. We all have to face adversity and troubles in our lives. 

Sometimes the struggles we go through are the result of poor choices, and sometimes they are the result of consequences that were completely beyond our control. Regardless of the cause, no trouble we experience or pain we suffer should be wasted. As Rick Warren would say, "God never wastes a hurt".

Troubles can educate us.  They can build our character and help us develop patience, humility, and strength if we choose to let them. But still, many of us spend our lives thinking; “Why me? 
Why is my life hard? Why am I having to struggle? Why do I have to suffer loss? Why, why, why?”  

Over the next few weeks I will be preaching a series I am writing called, God's Grace in Troubled Times. Five weeks ago my wife was discovered to have colon cancer. She begins 28 chemo/radiation treatments this week. I will be sharing what I’m discovering as we go through our crisis. 

No stranger to trouble and a candidate to ask Why me? is a man named Job. After losing all his wealth, servants, and children he responded a little differently than most would.

Then Job arose, tore his robe, and shaved his head; and he fell to the ground and worshiped.  And he said: “Naked I came from my mother’s womb, And naked shall I return there. The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; Blessed be the name of the Lord.” In all this Job did not sin nor charge God with wrong. - Job 1:20-22
Take a look at the book of Job this week and see how God can speak to you through it.