Sunday, August 24, 2014

Barriers that Immobilize Us

Today I want to talk about three barriers that keep us for where God wants us to. In other words what keeps us from moving from Here to There. 

Closed eyes - It's not the root but the fruit that people see in our lives. Are your eyes open to the problems of others. In Ezekiel 22:30 it says, "I looked for a man among them who would build up the wall and stand before me in the gap on behalf of the land so I would not have to destroy it, but I found none."

Closed minds - After we see a need we mus have it in our hearts to walk towards it not act like it doesn't exists. Nehemiah heard of a need and did something about. Hanani, one of my brothers, came from Judah with some other men, and I questioned them about the Jewish remnant that survived the exile, and also about Jerusalem.  They said to me, "Those who survived the exile and are back in the province are in great trouble and disgrace. The wall of Jerusalem is broken down, and its gates have been burned with fire. When I heard these things, I sat down and wept. For some days I mourned and fasted and prayed before the God of heaven.  Then I said: "O LORD, God of heaven, the great and awesome God, who keeps his covenant of love with those who love him and obey his commands,Nehemiah 1:2-5 He spoke with the king and rebuilt the walls.

Closed hearts - We close our hearts out of fear many times, but fear is the absence of faith. Even when we feel we are powerless to move God can give us strength. 2 Corinthians 12:7-10 says, To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me.  Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me.  But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.  That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. Strength found in weakness is only found with an open heart,

God desires us to be open and available to His call on our lives, and move us from our "here" to His "there". Are you willing to take that first step? Each one will bring you that much closer to the goal. Amen?