Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Out of the Darkness

Throughout the Bible we see the imagery of light and darkness representing God and evil. Today consider three components for coming out of the darkness:
1. God’s Light

“Light” represents truth, holiness, righteousness, and God’s Word Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path. I have taken an oath and confirmed it, that I will follow your righteous laws. - Psalm 119:105 - 106

“Darkness” represents lies, evil, deceit, and works of Satan. But the way of the wicked is like deep darkness; they do not know what makes them stumble. - Proverbs 4:19
But Jesus said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life. - John 8:12

2. God’s Love
Jesus’ death on the cross and resurrection is for everyone who receives it.  Just as people are destined to die once, and after that to face judgment, so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him.- Hebrews 9:27-28

3. Godly Living
Jesus said, “If you love me, you will obey My commands.” - John 14:15 We are to obey God’s commands, and live our lives as Jesus lived His. We know that we have come to know him if we keep his commands.  Whoever says, “I know him,” but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in that person.  But if anyone obeys his word, love for God is truly made complete in them. This is how we know we are in him:  Whoever claims to live in him must live as Jesus did. – 1 John 2:3-6

Live, love, and share God's hope today, and the things of this world will grow strangely dim by the light of His glory and grace. Amen?