Monday, December 22, 2014

Christmas Mystery

Recently I preached on Christmas Grace – The Reason for Christmas and The Mystery of Jesus as found in  Luke 1:26-38. The following are notes from the study. The message can be found on our website: www.fbcredbank.com 

An angelic visit to Mary, concerning the birth of Jesus (Luke 1:26-38)
1. The salutation to Mary (Luke 1:26-37) She receives a heavenly visit.
a. The messenger (Luke 1:26-28) The angel Gabriel appears to this virgin girl in Nazareth. Mary is engaged to Joseph the carpenter.
b. The message (Luke 1:29-33)
- Gabriel’s assurance – He comforts Mary, saying she has found favor with God.
- Gabriel’s announcement – Mary will give birth to Jesus, the Messiah, whose kingdom and reign over Israel will never end!
c. The mystery (Luke 1:34) Being a virgin Mary is perplexed, wondering how this can be accomplished.
d. The method (Luke 1:35) Gabriel tells her that the Holy Spirit will father the baby!
e. The miracle (Luke 1:36-37) Mary now learns that her aged relative Elizabeth is already six months into her pregnancy!

2. The submission of Mary (Luke1:38)
I am the Lord’s servant, and I am willing to accept whatever he wants”.
Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.  Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me. Psalm 51:10-12

Are you a willing servant of God?


Will you accept what you don’t understand (a mystery) by faith?