Monday, January 12, 2015

Jesus Is _____ .

This week we started a new study at my church called Jesus is ____ . Eventually every person has to fill in that blank. Over the next four weeks we'll discover how God may want us to fill in that description. Today we will look at the question of worth.

Here’s a question we all ask, every single one of us, whether verbally and actually, or mentally and internally.  What am I worth? Maybe you ask it in a different way.  Maybe you have a different question that passes through your mind.  Who am I? What am I about?  The next question, of course, is how do you answer that question? What’s the criteria?  We may look at status - how rich, smart, skilled, powerful, influential, etc. I am. Maybe, but I think most people judge by a more personal measurement. 

Probably the most common answer is in connection with our deeds.  “I’m a good person. I do good things for people. I tip big.  I read my Bible every year. I go to church every Sunday. I don’t hurt anybody. So I must be worth something.”  What does this reveal? Do you believe worth is earned?

The NT writer gave us a clue to the answerLet us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. - Hebrews 4:16

Your focus will determine your true worth.