Friday, January 16, 2015

What Are You Looking At?

I use the word focus a lot in my teaching and counseling. The truth is that I use that word as much for my own benefit as those I am sharing it with.  In Hebrews 1:2 it says, We must pay more careful attention, therefore, to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away. To keep our minds on the things of God and to be obedient we must focus! This is essential in order to live a Christ-like life. The Bible directs us in this, Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. - Colossians 3:2-3
Four things that help me focus:
1. Prayer – Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Unless the LORD watches over the city, the watchmen stand guard in vain.Psalm 127:1

2. Use of Multiple Reinforcements – So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; will uphold you with my righteous right hand.- Isaiah 41:10

3. Adjust Behavior – Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. - James 1:22

4. Change Thinking – Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.-Eph. 5:1-2

Use your prayers, thoughts, faith, and mind to help you stay focused. God deserves nothing less than our best. Amen?