Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Birthdays

Birthdays are an interesting subject. When we are kids we can't wait, but as adults they are a reminder of our mortality. Not that I dread having a birthday. This year's has been fantastic! I had a great surprise with my son and family blessing us over the weekend. We had a lot of fun. Our family needed a good "coming together" experience. The last couple of months haven't been so happy of occasions...

Which takes me back to a reminder of mortality. Besides speaking at Dad's funeral I have officiated at 5 other funerals in the last ten weeks. Now that's a shot of reality especially when two were my age. As I shared yesterday I try to go in to "Biblical application mode" when hard times hit and use Romans 5:3-5. My interpretation on how to deal with hardships: 

I need to be patient, quiet, still, and wait for the Lord's help (and not try to "fix" it myself). 
I need to learn and apply my hurt to ministering to others (starting in my home and family).
 I need to never lose sight of the Great Hope Christ offers even in my circumstance (keep my focus vertical even when the world is falling apart to my right and left). 
I need to apply my walk and life experience with God to everything I do or think (by putting Jesus first it helps bring order).

I hope I apply Paul's philosophy about life and death - it's all bonus! If I die I'm with Christ. If I live I get to tell others about Jesus, and have the Holy Spirit living in me.
Pretty good deal right?

I am looking forward to see what God has in store for my family, church, and me in the years ahead. Whatever it is I'm sure it will be awesome as long as we keep looking up for our direction!
Amen?

May God bless you in a special way today and may you put a smile on His face.
Love in Christ, Pastor Ty