Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Listening Up

Every time I do a funeral of a person whose life is cut short because of bad decisions I wonder what went wrong. It's a real tragedy with many questions that might never get answered. Answers and hope at a time like this can only come from God. We need to look (up) and listen (obediently) to the Lord.

 The psalmist begins with his eyes looking up...


Lord, you are the God who saves me;
    day and night I cry out to you.
May my prayer come before you;
   turn your ear to my cry.

Then he looks at the world and starts his lament.
 I am overwhelmed with troubles and my life draws near to death. I am counted among those who go down to the pit; I am like one without strength. I am set apart with the dead,  like the slain who lie in the grave, whom you remember no more, who are cut off from your care. You have taken from me my closest friends  and have made me repulsive to them. I am confined and cannot escape;  my eyes are dim with grief.  Why, Lord, do you reject me and hide your face from me?


Then he looks back up from where our help really comes from.

I call to you, Lord, every day; I spread out my hands to you. 
I cry to you for help, Lord
in the morning my prayer comes before you.

How's your life - are
you looking up for your help or looking out? 
Are you listening?