Thursday, February 16, 2017

Responsibility

There is a lot we can learn from the Bible. As you study you will soon see things haven't changed much. People want to do things "their way" and not "God's way" and it always ends bad. Look at this conversation between God and Solomon found in 1 Kings chapter nine. “As for you, if you walk before me faithfully as David your father did, and do all I command, and observe my decrees and laws, 18 I will establish your royal throne, as I covenanted with David your father when I said, ‘You shall never fail to have a successor to rule over Israel.’  19 “But if you and go off to serve other gods and worship them, 20 then I will uproot Israel from my land, which I have given them, and will reject this temple I have consecrated for my Name. I will make it a byword and an object of ridicule among all peoples. 21 This temple will become a heap of rubble. All who pass by will be appalled and say, ‘Why has the LORD done such a thing to this land and to this temple?’ 22 People will answer, ‘Because they have forsaken the LORD, the God of their ancestors, who brought them out of Egypt, and have embraced other gods, worshiping and serving them—that is why he brought all this disaster on them.’”

This is the “high water” mark in Solomon’s life. The Lord knew what was coming and warned him. Disobedience has its consequences. If we turn our backs on God then he will allow calamity and disaster to fall on us, as individuals, families, and a country. When people ask, “Why has the Lord done such a thing?” we can answer the same as in verse 22, “Because we have turned our backs on God, and embraced other gods”.

It seems easier to blame God than to take responsibility for ourselves. We can’t change our country or our families by our own will, but do have control over self. So let us follow the Lord’s direction and humble ourselves, pray, and seek Him with all we have until He calls us to eternity. That’s how we can apply His wisdom and knowledge with obedience.
Amen?