Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Lostness

Do you remember a time in your life when you were lost? I do. I was 4 or 5 years old when I was with my parents at a big department store. It was back when they had pet departments, and I loved looking at the puppies. I guess Mom and Dad thought I was with the other and I soon found myself alone. There was a terror that went through me as I felt alone and abandoned. I started to run screaming for my parents.
Do you remember a time when someone that you loved was lost? I do. Almost 25 years after my experience of being lost I found myself on the other side. We were on our first family vacation at Virginia Beach with our four children. We had some friends and their two children visiting us that day. I thought our youngest daughter age four had gone with her Mother back to the room. When my wife came back she asked where was Hannah? Immediately that same fear and terror that I had felt as a little boy returned. We frantically looked for her but could not find her anywhere.
Jesus told three stories about being lost in the Gospel of Luke chapter 15.
The Parable of the Lost Sheep that was found. ‘Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.’  I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.
The Parable of the Lost Coin that was found.  In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”
The Parable of the Lost Son who came to his senses and returned home.  But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’”

When I was lost as a little boy I knew it. All I wanted was to be back in the love and security of my parents. When I saw my Mom I held her tight and never wanted to let go. As a Dad I wanted nothing more than to hold my child and let her know everything was going to be alright. A lifeguard told us they found Hannah running down the beach two blocks away! I set new sand running record getting to her. That was my only focus – to make her safe and bring her home. That’s what good Fathers do – like the one in Jesus’ story, and God the Father. The Lord knows your heart, your wants, your fears, and provides what you need. His name is Jesus.
If you are lost look up and be found today.