Wednesday, November 8, 2017

So Much More


What gives meaning to your life? This Sunday I preached on Jesus’ story about a man who went away and entrusted his servants with a sum of money to invest (see Matthew 25:14–28). He gave them a purpose, and God has given one to you, too. Discover it for yourself, and you’ll find a new level of meaning and fulfillment. You’ll discover what it means to Give To Live!

Naturalist Henry David Thoreau is often noted for his statement that most men “live lives of quiet desperation.” In an attempt to avoid that kind of existence, from 1845 to 1847, he lived alone, like a survivalist, in the woods of Walden Pond, Massachusetts. In 1854, he published his experiences in the book, Walden. He wrote, “I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”

It would be a shame to discover someday that the many pursuits that filled our days on earth were something less than God’s best for us, that we had lived lives lacking purpose and meaning.

God wants so much more for each one of us!