Friday, April 6, 2018

Adversity Lesson

We all have adversity in our lives. But no one had adversity like Jesus had one day – betrayal, arrested, abandoned, mocked, beaten, crucified, and put in a borrowed grave.

How did He respond? The same as He did in life. Consider the seven last words from the cross:

1.     Forgiveness - Luke 23:34: Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.

2.     Mercy - Luke 23:43: Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in paradise.

3.     Love - John 19:26–27: Woman, behold your son. Son, behold your mother.

4.     Grace - Matthew 27:46 & Mark 15:34 My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?

5.     Caring - John 19:28: I thirst.

6.     Redemption - John 19:30: It is finished. (From the Greek "Tetelestai" which is also translated "It is accomplished", or "It is complete".)-Salvation (way to God) is Finished.

7.     Hope - Luke 23:46: Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit.

How we respond to adversity is a test of our faith. Yes, that Friday was a hard day for Jesus, and we understand adversity…But God works for good in all things (even in adversity) May we allow Him to do likewise in our lives. Amen?