Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Look Ahead

Vision is vital to Christian living. Those who grew up memorizing KJV remember this translation. Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he. (KJV)


The word vision (revelation) means “to mentally perceive or to contemplate”. The word translated perish (restraint) is used in the OT as “to go back”.  In Numbers 14:3 God’s wandering people wanted to “go back” to Egypt. 

He said, “I am the Lord your God. Listen carefully to my voice. Do what is right in my eyes. Pay attention to my commands. Obey all of my rules. If you do, I will not send on you any of the sicknesses I sent on the Egyptians. I am the Lord who heals you.” - Exodus 15:26

Those who have no vision, no perception of what they could be, seem to have no clear direction in their Christian journey.

Moving on Toward the Goal (Philippians 3)

12 I have not yet received all of those things. I have not yet been made perfect. But I move on to take hold of what Christ Jesus took hold of me for.
13 Brothers and sisters, I don’t consider that I have taken hold of it yet. But here is the one thing I do. I forget what is behind me. I push hard toward what is ahead of me. 14 I move on toward the goal to win the prize. God has appointed me to win it. The heavenly prize is Christ Jesus himself.
15 All of us who are grown up in the faith should see things that way. Maybe you think differently about something. But God will make it clear to you. 16 Only let us live up to what we have already reached.
17 Brothers and sisters, join with others in following my example. Pay close attention to those who live in keeping with the pattern we gave you.