Friday, August 8, 2014

Share God's Hope

One of the greatest stories of hope, love and reconciliation is found in the Bible about a Prodigal Child. Prodigal means carelessly and foolishly spending money, time, etc. It is someone has wasted what was given to them. In this case it was a son who wasted his wealth and broke his Father’s heart. Jesus told the following story:
 “There was once a man who had two sons. The younger said to his father, ‘Father, I want right now what’s coming to me. “So the father divided the property between them. It wasn’t long before the younger son packed his bags and left for a distant country. There, undisciplined and dissipated, he wasted everything he had. After he had gone through all his money, there was a bad famine all through that country and he began to hurt. He signed on with a citizen there who assigned him to his fields to slop the pigs. He was so hungry he would have eaten the corncobs in the pig slop, but no one would give him any.
 “That brought him to his senses. He said, ‘All those farmhands working for my father sit down to three meals a day, and here I am starving to death. I’m going back to my father. I’ll say to him, Father, I’ve sinned against God, I’ve sinned before you; I don’t deserve to be called your son. Take me on as a hired hand.’ He got right up and went home to his Father.
“When he was still a long way off, his Father saw him. His heart pounding, he ran out, embraced him, and kissed him. The son started his speech: ‘Father, I’ve sinned against God, I’ve sinned before you; I don’t deserve to be called your son ever again.’ “But the Father wasn’t listening. He was calling to the servants, ‘Quick. Bring a clean set of clothes and dress him. Put the family ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. Then get a grain-fed heifer and roast it. We’re going to feast! We’re going to have a wonderful time! My son is here—given up for dead and now alive! Given up for lost and now found!’ And they began to have a wonderful time. (The Message)
There could have been a different ending to this story. The Father could have disowned him, and had nothing to do with him. Unfortunately that’s how people treat each other sometimes. Maybe you’ve been disowned or people have turned their backs on you. They just won’t forgive or have anything to do with you. If this describes your situation I have some very good news for you.

The Father in this story represents God, your heavenly Father who will never turn His back on you. In fact He is just like the Father in the story. He watches for your return. He wants to embrace, forgive, and bring you back in to the family. If you are ready to return click this link. http://peacewithgod.jesus.net