Friday, February 24, 2017

Anniversary


A year ago, today I received a call from my brother that no one ever wants to receive. Unexpectedly our Dad had died. Everything changed, and the last twelve months have been full of grief and decisions. God has been in control (with much fear and trembling), and the family has survived. In fact, our family is healthy and growing, but there is still a sense of sadness. I was thinking about Dad today when I came across this passage.

The eyes of the Lord are on the righteous, and his ears are attentive to their cry; but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil, to blot out their name from the earth. The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles. The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. The righteous person may have many troubles, but the Lord delivers him from them all; Psalm 34:15-19

In processing any kind of great loss these are good reminders. You are never alone. God takes care of His children. He hears our cries. The Lord is always present, and will deliver us from our trouble.

I miss my Dad, but I know it’s only temporary. Thank you, Jesus, for taking him home, and promising the same for me. It is well with my soul…