Saturday, November 10, 2012

A Caring God



I saw an article recently titled, Does the Church really matter to God? It really got me thinking because in record numbers people leave the church every day. This is one of those "minor prophet" verses that we probably never read or skipped over. It's God's Word to the church for all time.

Amos 5:21-24 really talks about what matters to God:
I hate all your show and pretense-the hypocrisy of your religious festivals and solemn assemblies. I will not accept your burnt offerings and grain offerings. I won't even notice all your choice peace offerings. Away with your noisy hymns of praise! I will not listen to the music of your harps. Instead, I want to see a mighty flood of justice, an endless river of righteous living. 

Whenever you see the word "justice" in the Bible it is usually in regards to caring for people's needs.Living a "righteous life" means doing it God's way.   

Imagine that?

God wants us to take care of others and live a Christ-honoring life - a radical concept by most standards of "church". By the way, church, He means do this every single day - not just on Sunday (or when the Pastor is looking).

Be wise today and always - be the church that matters to God.