Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Intentionality Defined


I believed I had an original thought that would rock the Christian world, but sadly no. Many Christ followers have been exploring the word “Intentional” for years. In fact, there are; intentional ministries, churches, youth groups, bloggers, devotions, and Bible studies all over the world (and the internet). That still didn’t dissuade me because I also thought I came up with a new word: Intentionality. Sadly, I wasn’t the first on that boat, but I do believe I am taking a totally different look and definition of the word.

According to Oxford dictionary the word is defined as - the fact of being deliberate or purposive. In philosophy it is the quality of mental states (e.g., thoughts, beliefs, desires, hopes) that consists in their being directed toward some object or state of affairs.

I am not questioning the existence of God or engaging in that “philosophical conversation”. I am starting at the position of being a born again believer through the power of Jesus Christ. God is intentional and He desires us to be the same. We need to have the same focus as Paul who wrote, I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. - Galatians 2:20

God’s Word gives us all we need to intentionally live for Him. Amen?