Monday, July 15, 2013

Where is the Church?

We had a minister's lunch at my church this year for about 16 area pastors. Our church has ten different outside doors. Everyone who has been there knows to go in the side door for "eating" events. I thought it was weird that a new pastor that I talked to earlier did not show up. He called me about 20 minutes in to the lunch saying he could here us inside, but couldn't find an unlocked door to get in! I rescued him from the parking lot, but it made me think about how the world sees the church. Do they ask the question, How do I get in?

Recently a friend told me of a funeral at his church where he encountered a group of people outside on his front lawn who asked, Is this the church, and how can we get in? That just gives me the shivers! Have we become so isolated and outdated that the world really doesn't know who, what, or where we (the body of Christ) are?

The next few days we will examine three questions: What? So what? and Now what? that comes from our identity as Christ followers. Today ask yourself - do those around you know of Christ, and how can they have a relationship with Him?

Romans 10:12-14 tells us; …For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich to all that call on him. For whoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? …

Be wise today and always - tell someone the way to Christ.