Saturday, February 8, 2014

Confess Your Sin

Our study of Max Lucado's GRACE leads us to the question, Why is confession important? One reason is that unconfessed sin causes pain.

“Bury misbehavior, and you can expect pain. Period. You cannot escape the misery it creates.” —Max Lucado

“I confess my guilt; I am troubled by my sin.” (Psalm 38:18 ncv)

Unconfessed sin also disables you. King David was brought low.

“My guilt has overwhelmed me like a burden too heavy to bear. My wounds fester and are loathsome because of my sinful folly. I am bowed down and brought very low; all day long I go about mourning. My back is filled with searing pain; there is no health in my body. I am feeble and utterly crushed; I groan in anguish of heart.” (Psalm 38:4–8 niv)

“When I refused to confess my sin, my body wasted away, and I groaned all day long. . . . My strength evaporated like water in the summer heat.” (Psalm 32:3, 4 nlt)

Remember that confession allows healing.

“Create in me a clean heart, O God. Renew a loyal spirit within me. Do not banish me from your presence, and don’t take your Holy Spirit from me.” (Psalm 51:10–11 nlt)

“Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so God can heal you. When a believing person prays, great things happen.” (James 5:16 ncv)
 
Allow grace to bring about healing.