Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Ashes


Today is Ash Wednesday--the first day of the Lenten Season.  The journey to the Resurrection Celebration begins today.  We won't have a service at my church that includes ashes on our foreheads, but each of us might want to take time for a "searching of our hearts" with the help of the Holy Spirit.


The early church--at least as far back as 200 A.D.--recognized the benefit of setting apart a time in the church year for The Three "R's."  Reflection.  Repentance.  Renewal.


I invite you to join me in the journey.  During these 40 days of the Lenten Season, let's allow God to work in our lives through the traditions of Lent: fasting, prayer, almsgiving, and Scripture reading.  Let's spend the first few days of the season searching our hearts, repenting of our sins and forgiving those who have sinned against us.  The process requires thought, time and enough quiet to listen for the Holy Spirit's "still small voice."


Psalm 139:23-4 offers us a good beginning prayer:

Search me, O God, and know my heart!

Try me and know my thoughts!

And see if there be any grievous

way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting!