Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Rest for What?

Are you tired? Some of us feel that if we could just get a good night's sleep that everything would be alright. We cling to Jesus' promise in Matthew 11:28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Truth is that one night will not make everything better. We need to establish God honoring "resting" principles to our lives. Let's start by answering some questions. 

Why do you want to rest? Is it just for your own satisfaction and needs? Or is it so we can serve, follow, and obey Christ better? Your motive is very important to the restoration process.

“ I said to myself, “Relax, because the Lord takes care of you.”   Psalm 116:7 (Focus on God)

“A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones.”  Prov. 14:30 (God's peace in a vertical relationship)

The Bible is pretty clear that we are to take care of our bodies, and God will help us if we listen.  I love the Message's paraphrase of Matthew 11:28-30. 

“Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.”

Allow God to give you rest, so you will have the clarity and energy to do His will. Living for Christ is the reason to rest. You dishonor Him when you don't.

For I will restore health to you, and your wounds I will heal, says the Lord,.Jeremiah 30:17 RSV

Allow the Holy Spirit and God's powerful Word to change you through getting rest. 

Read The Daniel Plan by Rick Warren (full of God's Word) and check out the Daniel Plan Website Here