Friday, March 29, 2013

Good Friday?

Good Friday – What’s so good about it? The day that Jesus, Son of God, dies for the world in the cruelest of ways, and we call Good Friday. The Sunday School answer would be it is good for what Christ did for me! I think there is more to it as we look at the Bible, and what it has to tell us.
1. All was completed! – Jesus had completed the mission He came to earth for. Philippians 2:5-11- Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death—even death on a cross! Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

2. Scripture was fulfilled! – From Jesus’ birth to the resurrection was prophesied. Matthew 26:52 - Put your sword back in its place,” Jesus said to him, “for all who draw the sword will die by the sword. Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels? But how then would the Scriptures be fulfilled that say it must happen in this way?” At that time Jesus said to the crowd, “Am I leading a rebellion that you have come out with swords and clubs to capture me? Every day I sat in the temple courts teaching, and you did not arrest me.  But this has all taken place that the writings of the prophets might be fulfilled.”

3. It is finished! – tetelesti! (transaction/deal was omplete)- death has been defeated
1 Corinthians 15:55 - “Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?” The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Jesus gave up His Spirit in order that we can receive the Holy Spirit.
John 14:26 - But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

Be wise today and always - thank God that He is good all the time.