Monday, March 12, 2012

The Law


I heard an interesting and disturbing comment from someone recently concerning a memory verse from 40 Days in the Word. It is Psalm 119:18, Open my eyes that I might see wonderful things in your law. The commit was that it was a silly verse to memorize in a study about the Bible because the Law was Old Testament and we live under the New Testament.

Last time I checked the Bible is the Old and the New Testament! While is true we have a new covenant with God through Jesus’ sacrifice, Jesus spoke and the other NT writers wrote about the value of Scripture. The only Bible they would have had at that time was the OT.

Psalm 119 is a wonderful passage about the Word of God. Sometimes it is called Scripture, or precepts, or statutes, or decrees, or commands, or promises, or laws. God wants to give us a clear and complete picture of who He is through this love letter to us – the Bible. So I ask for my friend and all of us that our eyes will be opened to God’s wonder-filled Book. Amen?

Be wise today and always – keep your eyes, ears, and heart open.